By Staff Report
Oct. 1, 2009
A recent Conference Board report, “The Ill-Prepared U.S. Workforce,” shows that nearly half of the 217 employers surveyed provide remedial training to shore up employees’ writing, math and problem-solving deficiencies. The report was co-sponsored by the Society for Human Resource Management, the American Society for Training & Development and Corporate Voices for Working Families.
In addition to defining the problem, the report also offers some solutions, summarized here:
• Be clear about what workforce readiness requires. A combination of basic and applied skills is best.
• Track the cost and quality of training programs, distinguishing between career advancement, job-specific training and workforce readiness training.
• Offer direct training or funding with corporate philanthropic dollars to encourage workforce readiness curricula in K-12, technical schools and colleges.
• Coordinate HR, community relations, corporate communications and corporate philanthropy departments. Establish strategic partnerships with schools and colleges to improve readiness skills.
• Make full use of publicly funded sources for workforce training, encouraging communities and employees to seek out support too.
• Use the organization’s corporate voice to focus public policy discussion on the need to link education with workforce readiness skills.
Workforce Management, September 14, 2009, p. 33 — Subscribe Now!
We build robust scheduling & attendance software for businesses with 500+ frontline workers. With custom BI reporting and demand-driven scheduling, we help our customers reduce labor spend and increase profitability across their business. It's as simple as that.
Employee Engagement12 practical employee appreciation ideas for better engagement and retention
Summary Showing appreciation to your employees improves engagement and retention. There are 12 practica...
employee appreciation, engagement, HR, raccoons
ComplianceCalifornia fast food workers bill: why it’s more than meets the eye and how to prepare
Summary: California signs bill establishing a “fast food council” that has the power to raise the indus...
Employee Engagement7 statistics on employee turnover in 2022 every HR manager should be aware of
Summary July 2022 saw 5.9 million total separations – More Replacing a full-time employee can cost up t...
employee retention, employee turnover